How to Use the Scan Editor
Whenever you see the Select Condition button (blue funnel icon), you can use it to create a Condition or a Condition Set. While these conditions can be used in many ways (Sorting, Scanning, Alerts, Trading, Reports), there really is just one convention for creating the condition/condition set. This article will help you understand the process of condition building no matter where you encounter the blue funnel icon.
1. Open the condition Editor
This may look a bit different in each application of the conditions, but you will always see the blue funnel icon. Click the Select Conditions button.
2. Click Add Condition to open the condition wizard.
Select the method for creating the condition.
Choose Condition(s) opens the menu to select from the condition library.)
In the Search field type the name of the condition(s) to be used for the Scan.
If you don't know the name of the criteria you can use the Categories to narrow the list and scroll to find the desired criteria desired.
Write Formula allows you to use the PCF tool to create a custom condition using a formula. (Click Here for more on PCF formulas.)
And--create a condition where all criteria are true simultaneously. (Click for more.)
Or--create a condition where multiple conditions can be true simultaneously. (Click for more.)
Flex--create a condition in which multiple criteria are met during a specified period of time. (Click for more.)
3. Create a condition
Click the criteria to be used for the condition.
Note: In this example we will build a Condition set looking for stocks with Price between $10 and $100. However, any indicators, fundamentals, formula, etc., in the condition criteria library can be used for constructing a condition/condition set.
Click the Condition dropdown and select Is Between from the list.
Set the desired Minimum and Maximum values.
Note: when creating individual conditions, click the Save button to name and add them in the condition library for re-use.
4. Set the True Field
This field allows you to decide when you want the condition you are applying to be true for the stocks to which you are applying it.
- Now: the condition is true on the last bar on the chart
- x bars ago: the condition is true at some previous point in time (you determine by deciding the number of days x equals)
- within last x bars: the condition is true within some previous span of time (you determine by deciding the span of days x equals)
- x bars in a row: the condition is true on a certain number of recurring days (you determine by deciding the number of days x equals)
This field allows you to decide in what timeframe you want the condition you are applying to be true for the stocks to which you are applying it. All time frames 1 minute and above are available for any condition. (Note: in an EasyScan, the timeframe is chosen in the results window instead of the condition editor.)
To Save the condition to the Condition library, click Save.
Click the Count icon to get an update of how many stocks are passing your conditions so far
Click on the Count to Refresh or hide the count.
To build a Condition Set (multiple conditions) click the Add column button to repeat the steps above for each new condition.
5. Apply the Condition(s)
Click the Apply to... button to choose how to immediately apply the condition:
- Scan Results (Scan in a new window)
- Scan Plot (historical scan plot)
- Scan Plot Summary (summary of scan results over time)
- Sort Column (sortable column in new WatchList)
- Item in Layout (apply to chart or WatchList in current layout)
- Buy (place a stock or option buy conditional order based on the conditions)
- Sell (place a stock or option sell conditional order based on the conditions)
- Copy to Clipboard (copy conditions to computer clipboard for reuse)
- TC2000 assumes that the condition set is being constructed with all conditions set to the same timeframe (e.g. daily or 1-min). To mix timeframes, click the Use mixed timeframes tick box. When using the mixed timeframes option, each condition will have its own timeframe which can be selected in the condition editor.
To copy the conditions to use in other functions, click the Copy button (Click Here for more on copy/paste of conditions.)
To clear all conditions in order to build a new condition set, click the X (delete all) icon.
Click the delete icon (x) next to any single condition to remove the condition from the set.
Click the Folder icon to select an existing condition(s) from the condition library.
6. Review Results
The resulting list of symbols will meet all of the Conditions that were set as part of the Condition Set. The number next to the blue Funnel icon tells how many conditions are in the Condition Set.
The time stamp next to Scanned shows when the Scan was last updated.
To refresh the Scan results click the icon which looks like two arrows going in a circle.
Streaming Scans: TC2000 Platinum users can Stream up to 15 such Scans simultaneously. TC2000 Gold users can stream a single scan. Choosing a refresh rate allows you to decide how often you want your scan results to be automatically re-scanned. Click the Refresh drop down menu.
Choose the time interval at which you want your scan to be refreshed. TC2000 automatically re-scans the WatchList to update results on that interval.
To apply all conditions to any time single frame, click the TimeFrame dropdown to choose the desired bar interval (for EasyScan).
To sync the time frame to any other tool window (e.g. the Chart) use the TimeFrame link menu
The total number of stocks found with the Scan conditions is always at the bottom of the WatchList window.
7. Edit Condition Set
To re-enter/Edit the Condition Set conditions, click on the blue Funnel icon
Click on a Condition
Change criteria settings in the Editor. Click OK when completed.
8. Scan a different WatchList for the Condition/Condition Set
Click the WatchList dropdown menu to select a different WatchList. Click on the name of the desired WatchList to make it the active list being filtered by the Scan condition(s).
9. Stop the Scan
Uncheck the Scan tick box to stop the conditions from filtering the WatchList
Note: the conditions in this article are only examples. Any indicators, fundamentals, PCFs, etc., within TC2000 can be used in an EasyScan.
The conditions and results of the Scan examples should not be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell any security. They are presented solely for educational purposes.