How to Use the New Option Chain WatchList Controls
The Option Chain WatchList is more flexible with a new set of controls used for linking it to the underlying symbol that drives the Option Chain.
Right click on a symbol in the WatchList, and choose Option Chain from the menu.
Alternatively, right click on a chart, and choose Option Chain from the menu.
Or, click the WatchList menu button and choose Option Chain from the menu.
A menu opens allowing you to choose the way you want the underlying ticker symbol to be fed to the Option Chain.
Choose the item that you want.
- Current symbol link--connect the chain to a symbol link color group which will be the only symbol changes that change the underlying symbol for the Option Chain.
- Any symbol change--change the symbol in any WatchList to choose the underlying symbol for the Option Chain.
- WatchList--select a specific WatchList to display the options for all the symbols in that WatchList. (Note, you can also filter the WatchList to display the options for the filtered list.)
- Lock to symbol--Option Chain will not change underlying symbol and only the options for the locked symbol will be displayed. (A locked icon appears in the Option Chain if this is selected.)
Select the settings you want for which options to display in the Option Chain
- Number of days/date: either number of days for which you want options displayed or actual expiration date for the options.
- Number of strikes: how many strike prices for the option and date range.
- Type of option: Calls, puts or both.
If you want these settings to be the default with which all Option Chain windows open, click the hamburger icon in the Option Chain and choose Save Option Chain Strike Defaults.
Note: you can always alter these settings on the fly in any Option Chain you have open. You are merely setting the default with which the WatchList opens.
You can click the lock icon to lock/unlock the Option Chain to the current underlying symbol. Locking keeps the option chain tied to the current underlying symbol. Unlocking will return the option chain to its previous symbol change setting. (Note, this setting is not available when you are on the WatchList symbol change setting).