How to Use "Or" Scan Conditions
An "Or" Condition is a condition that combines multiple inclusive criteria. The condition allows you to set up multiple criteria to find stocks that meet any of those conditions. With an "Or" condition, the results could even contain opposite conditions. "Or" conditions can be used in Sorts, Filters, Data Grids, Alerts--anywhere conditions are used. An "Or" condition can also be combined with other conditions. Below is a simple filter example of using an "Or" Condition looking for stocks that are either Overbought or Oversold (high or low in their recent range) based on Stochastics. These stocks also are moving up today on above average volume. This article will walk through the steps for creating this sample scan. (Stochastics is only an example, any indicators can be used in these Conditions.)
*Gold or Platinum service levels required
Select New Condition to get a blank condition window.
Click Add condition
Select Choose Condition
In the type to search, type the word Stochastics. Select the Stochastics indicator from the menu.
Copy/Paste the condition to create the second "Or" condition with Stochastics. 1) Right Click on the Stochastics condition and choose Copy. 2) Right click on the condition again and choose Paste Below.
This gives you the two Stochastics conditions you need to create the "Or" condition.
Click the "and" and select "Change to Or". Now there are two Stochastics conditions connected by "or".
To Edit the Stochastics conditions, click the first Stochastics condition:
- Select "Greater than" in the Condition field
- Type 80 in the Value Box for Stochastics.
As you are building conditions, you can click the Save button to add the criteria to your Condition library to use again later.
Now click the second Stochastics condition:
- Select "Less than" in the Condition field
- Type 20 in the Value Box for Stochastics.
This completes the "Or" condition. This is now looking for stocks that are Overbought OR Oversold based on Stochastics.
OPTIONAL: Add any other conditions you like. (This example, price moving up and Volume above its 50-day SMA).
- Price moving up, Percent > .02
- Volume above Moving Average 50
These conditions are now AND conditions added to the Stochastics OR conditions.
Select from the Copy to... menu the way you want to apply the condition
- Window in Current Layout (opens target mode with option to choose any window)
- New Filtered WatchList (Opens new window with default WatchList and sorts by condition set)
- New Market Gauge (summary of scan results over time)
- New Market Indicator (historical scan plot)
- New True/False Column in WatchList (sortable T/F column in current active WatchList)
- New Data Grid (creates new Data Grid with the condition set as an entry)
- Clipboard (copy conditions to computer clipboard for reuse)
In this example, select New Filtered WatchList. A WatchList is created containing the filtered condition results. These will be stocks which reflect both the OR Stochastics conditions along with the other AND conditions.
Some of the stocks in the results list will show an Overbought Stochastic and price moving up on volume. Others will show an Oversold Stochastic but price still moving up on volume.
Name and save the Condition Set to add it to your Condition library to use later.
Note: the condition criteria in this article are only examples. Any indicators, fundamentals, PCFs, etc., within TC2000 can be used in Flex Conditions.
The conditions and results of the Scan example should not be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell any security. They are presented solely for educational purposes.