How To Start a Custom Date Sort Directly from a Chart
Using the Custom Date Sort tool you can calculate a percent change criteria for a group of symbols for any specific period of time. Here is the quickest way to run one.
1. Click and drag the mouse on the chart and press SpaceBar on your keyboard
Note: Keep the mouse button down when you press the SpaceBar on your keyboard.
2. Select Custom Date Sort from the dropdown menu
3. This places the Custom Date Sort editor on the chart with the selected area highlighted
4. You can add a drawing tool that remains on the chart after your sort is complete. (Optional)
Click Add drawing to chart
Select the drawing tool you want on the chart. (This example will use Price Region)
This adds the drawing to your Custom Date Sort editor and will place the tool on each chart in the results window.
5. You can then fine tune the date range within the dialog that appears once the initial cursor selection is made.
There are three option buttons just below the sliders on the Custom Date Sort dialog that let you choose how the sorts are calculated. This option will always default to % Change.
% Change: Calculates the percentage change in price between the start date and the end date specified.
vs. Sub Industry: Calculates the difference in percent change of Price vs the Sector.
vs. Industry: Calculates the difference in percent change of price vs. the main industry. If, for example, the stock was up 20% and the industry was up 15%, the resulting value would be 5%.